Monday, January 15, 2007

See Spot Change...


It is at these moments that I truly love being a veterinarian. This cute little puppy was one of my most recent patients. Actually, the dad of the pup’s owner brought this little one in, as well as it’s brand-new twin. He told the receptionists that his wife had washed the new one over and over trying to fade it, but that his wife and son, Spot’s owner, would be by a little later to pick up the pooch from being seen by the vet.
When they told me that Spot’s owner, a little boy named Connor had arrived, I had to collect myself a little. I LOVE doing this sort of thing! I went out into the waiting room and called out, “Spot?” Connor’s mom told him to go get his puppy. I told him that I hoped it was ok that we had bathed him, because he had gotten a little dirty when we were fixing him. He looked at Spot, looked at his mom, looked at me, and then hugged his pet. He asked me, “You stitched his heart?” I nodded. His little fingers gently touched the eyes, nose, ears, and heart. His mom asked him how Spot smelled. A little sniff of the nose and head… “Clean.” Some other words were exchanged, and I told Connor’s mom and grandmother “thank you.” We were all fighting back tears by the end, and the whole thing only took 20-30 seconds. You see, Connor is probably about 8 or 9 years old, but he is a special-needs child.
Seeing Spot’s transformation reminded me of a few verses in Scripture:

“Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” Ps 51:10

“Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way.” Ps 139:23-24

“For Thou dost not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it; Thou art not pleased with burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.” Ps 51:16-17

“Therefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.” 2 Cor 5:17

As you can see from the picture, Spot was a well-loved “pet,” whose heart was literally falling apart. But Spot did not return his owner broken. He was entrusted to the doctor, and was returned as good as new. It is the same with our Physician.

No comments: