Wednesday, January 03, 2007

A change of plans...

Well...this was the first year having Christmas with my brother and his wife as part of the family. I mean, we've always had Will as a part of the family, (duh), but this year it was a different Will. I was shocked to meet this new person he has become. He's only been married a couple of months, but as I sat with he and his wife at the table after brunch, I thought to myself..."Wow! He's an adult." It brings a smile to my face even now to think about it. Not that I'm SUCH an adult, and he was always SUCH a child, but I think I was finally able to see HIM. My brother has always surprised me upon occasion with some tidbit of wisdom. I don't know why I don't expect wisdom to come from my little brother...well...I guess I know why...when you are the big sister, you always know more than your brother, more about any thing regarding any subject. That's just the way it is. But not really so much anymore.
I asked Will before the wedding how he and Lisa got together. You see, they 'dated' for 5 years before he proposed. And since I knew my brother was not the kind of guy to ask girls out (ie. he is not one of those guys that asks many girls out just to go on dates), I wanted to know how their relationship even started. He said that they had been dating about 2 months when he found out about it. (They did alot of group activities and hung out together quite a bit.) He said that when he found out she was calling him her 'boyfriend', he panicked. This was not what he had planned. He was supposed to be single. He had never been attached to anyone, nor had he planned to. So he called it off. (I asked how, to which he replied, "I didn't call her for a week.") Then I asked if she called him, or if he took himself back to her. He admitted that he went back of his own accord. He said that Mom asked him, "Well, if she's not your 'girlfriend', what is she?" He thought a minute, and answered, "She's my Lisa. Like, my car, my room, my keys, my Lisa." She is the other part of him, and it surprised him to find her.
Anyway...I just thought that was really sweet. It's kinda like the story about my dad and the song "Brown-eyed Girl." Mom says that every time that song came on, he would start singing, and then turn to her in the middle and exclaim, "You're eyes aren't brown! I thought I liked brown-eyed girls." To his surprise, he didn't. He liked my Mom.

Just wanted to share.

No comments: