Thursday, April 26, 2007

In Pursuit of Fireflies...

Mom and I drove the loop the other night. (For those who don't know, "the loop" is a road that goes back into some of the farms in Marion, and then circles around to get back into town.) It's been a habit of ours to go by Sonic and then drive the loop. We haven't done that in almost a year, it seems, but the weather was great and off we went. A year or two ago, we discovered that there are a few spots where you can stop the car, turn off the lights, and watch thousands of fireflies against a dark backdrop of trees. May is really the perfect month, because of the temperature. June is too late. Evidently, April is too early. It is an awesome sight to see all those little lights in the middle of the pitch black.
Speaking of darkness...I've been challenged lately with many anxious thoughts. I wish I could say that my first response was true trust, but it hasn't been. But I was reminded of that verse a few days ago, "When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Thy consolations delight my soul." (Ps 94:19) Then I thought about the Israelites, and how it was important for them to teach their children and their children's children, and to rehearse on a monthly, if not weekly, basis, as well as with the yearly celebration of feasts, all that God had done for them. Why was this important? Because when things get dark, it is all too easy for us to forget what God has done. I mean, the Israelites walked through the Jordan river ON DRY GROUND, and later they complained about being led out of Egypt in order to die in the desert. I mean... HELLO !!!!!
I heard Chuck Swindoll, a few weeks ago, talking about sitting down with the family after dinner one night and telling the story (chronologically) about how God led them from the beginning of their lives and up until the present time. He said that after the recount of each child's birth, they stopped, prayed, and thanked God for His blessings and leading. So I listed my anxious thoughts, and then I listed His consolations. As I began to list God's consolations and all the ways in which He has led me, I was overwhelmed again, but this time with gratitude and lowliness. I mean, who am I that God would bless me? And why do I act like I think that God won't continue to care for me and my family?
Oh God, let me never forget all Your lovingkindness towards me. You have blessed me FAR above what I could ever deserve and beyond what I could hope for. Thank You that Your consolations are like those fireflies in the middle of the dark. Little glimmers of light and hope in the midst of the pitch black that encourage me to continue to put my trust and hope in You for everything. EVERY thing.

No comments: